Friday 30 November 2012

Through Windows

Having the incentive of maintaining a blog by writing regular posts (total to date = 3), with the luxury of knowing very few (and even that is generous) people actually read it, is quire enjoyable. It is a challenge to write full and eloquent paragraphs, having not written anything of any length since  finishing university. Anything I have written has been in the form of succinct text messages or quick, hand-written notes. And whilst I love reading and can appreciate the style of many different authors,   writing in a way that best communicates my own thoughts and character is incredibly difficult. I don't know what happens to words along the journey from creation in the the brain, along arms, into fingers to be revealed as words on the screen, but once they leave the body, they are changed. This is true! It's good practice to read back what has been written, but it is never as satisfactory to read what you thought you said. Pure, dry wit becomes acidic and predictable, and colourful metaphors that try to bring life and interest to observations or stories are now cheesy. 


I wouldn't even bother trying to describe that.

Writing is an art. This is something I've learnt since starting a floristry business. And I've learnt that taking what are actually GOOD photographs is also an art. So much to learn so quickly! One thing I did already know about myself; I am lazy. I love the thought of learning something new (thanks for the beautiful baby-blue bass guitar bought for me last Christmas) but going through the awkward and time-consuming process of actually learning a new skill is so off-putting I usually resist it. I think (or maybe I just console myself by thinking) this is an ailment of The Adult. It's quite possible it's just me, and I have met many inspiring adults who don't seem to have ever stopped growing and learning something new. Actually, a lot of these people are retired women. Which should motivate me actually to blinking-well do something!! Doesn't seem to have worked so far.

So here are some photos. 



I am starting to see why proper photographers are always talking about light. 



There have been times over the last week or so when our windows seem to have been as wet on the inside as on the outside. I really don't like condensation, it rots wood and makes everything in what should be your lovely, cosy home, feel damp. It has created some photographic opportunities though.




No comments:

Post a Comment