Thursday 16 May 2013

Pink

The Tree Peony is flowering!

It feels like I've been waiting for ages, not only for the huge buds to finally pop, but for the flowering season for these beauties to begin. When I started working in the gardens of Mr S., the Peonies had just blown over, and whilst the faded petals on the soil gave me some idea of what I'd missed, they are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING in full bloom. And they are scented. 

I spent hours last summer scrabbling around under the Tree Peonies, removing thick overgrown clumps of Crocosmia (now called Montbretia, but I can't seem to rewrite that into my brain) from the foot of each plant. And this is a GLORIOUS reward. Though I suppose it's not blooming specifically for me. It is difficult not to feel quite friendly towards plants you care for. 

"People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us."

IRIS MURDOCH

No comments:

Post a Comment